It is believed that a church was founded on this site in the 7th or 8th century. In 1080 it was recorded that the location was the site of an old Saxon church. Some of the fabric of that church remains in the present church. The chancel was built around 1340–50 and the south aisle was added in the 15th century. The north aisle was added in 1864 and other extensions and restorations were carried out by the Lancaster architect E. G. Paley. At that time an Anglo-Saxon doorway was moved and rebuilt in the churchyard, and two galleries which had served as private pews with their own entrances were taken down (LINK)
Today there was a christening going on in the church so we did not get chance to go inside, wish we had as there is a Viking hogback stone from the tenth century. Each side has carvings representing Norse Legends. One side tells the story of Sigmund White the other depicts Sigurd, famed for slaying the dragon Fafnir.
The stone was discovered in the nineteenth century , buried in the grounds. (LINK)
|Anglo-Saxon cross base|
The churchyard is worth exploring ( discoverer once home!) The Southern section, near the front gate, including the lower part of a ninth century Anglo-Saxon high cross. The carvings on the North side features a building with a door and seven windows, while the decoration on South side depicts a human figure beneath a halo (missed) The other side are adorned with Scrolled foliage. (LINK)
" The Ship" by Anna Gillespie. Heysham
Half Moon Bay
In 1846, the Morecambe Harbour and Railway Company was formed to build a harbour on Morecambe Bay, close to the fishing village of Poulton-le-Sands and a connecting railway.
Looking to the hills of the Lakes.